The Fun of Travelling and What to Pack
At the end of this month I’m travelling to Europe with my family. We will fly to London, England and then go via rail to France and Germany where my parents live. I’m really looking forward to it, however, one thing I really loathe is packing.
I always pack at the last minute (because I don’t like it) and pack way too much (because I can’t decide what not to take) even though I know that I am always buying things when I’m there. This time we have to pack and unpack several times AND pull our luggage through multiple airports and train stations, so I have made up my mind to pack lightly and this is the list of my must-haves when going away divided into different categories:
Things to take care of before leaving
- Purchase a travel medical package for all the places you will be visiting.
- Get a roaming package for your cell phone to avoid huge bills.
- Order some local currency to take with you (small amounts can only be paid in cash!! Credit cards are accepted in most (not all!) stores in Europe, however, in order to be sure look for signs that say Visa/Mastercard.
- Tell your credit card company you are travelling oversees so that they don’t get suspicious and freeze your cards (I speak from experience …).
- Stop your mail and newspaper delivery.
- Provide dog sitter with the name of your vet and other vital information.
- Talk to your neighbour about being away and in our case looking after the garden and the pool.
- Buy books
Last but not least
- try EVERYTHING on before packing. If it doesn’t fit, don’t bother taking it.
- Make sure different pants and tops match so you can create different outfits.
- Pack things that are easy to take care of and can be washed (remember you won’t have the selection of clothes that you have at home).
- Don’t worry about not speaking the language (except in Paris!). Most people speak English and are happy to help. They love Canadians!
- Have Fun!!!!!